Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Welcome!



Venice, Italy 2013

Hello people of the internet! My name is Mel and I have decided to start my very own travel blog!

As you can probably tell from my excessive use of exclamation points, I am very excited. Before I begin describing my experiences and posting pictures, I should probably tell you all a little bit about myself.

I was born in Hong Kong, the densely populated, metropolis of Asia. My father is American and my mother is a native Hong Konger. After adopting my sister, my family relocated to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and I spent my elementary and middle school years there. Most of my childhood consisted of playing on our swing set in the backyard with my sister. America's vast landscape allowed for cars to be our main mode of transport, so Mom was constantly driving us back and forth from the grocery store and dance lessons. I grew up a typical American girl worshipping football, listening to the Jonas Brothers, and sledding in the winter. I never really thought about my other cultural half. It didn't occur to me that I was only half American. I just assumed that we would spend our lives a normal American family. That assumption was later proved wrong.

I was in seventh grade when my family was downstairs in the basement watching National Treasure. Nicholas Cage had just stolen the Declaration of Independence and was fleeing from the sound of gunshots and footsteps coming in his direction when Dad paused the movie. My sister and I groaned and asked what could be so important to pause an action film in the middle of a highly thought out heist. The next few sentences spoken by my parents are faint in my memory as my mind was focused on how Cage would get himself out of the museum. The only phrase I can remember changed my life phenomenally: "We're moving back to Hong Kong".

Before we knew it we were driving down the hill from which our house sat looking down on us. I waved at it unsure of the future. I would love to say that I kept in contact with my close friends from school, but the reality is that people grow apart and it is extremely hard to keep in contact from the other side of the planet. Although I wonder what my life would have been like if I had stayed in Pittsburgh, I continue to look forward.

Ever since we moved back to Hong Kong I have felt more cultured then ever. We try to travel as a family as much as possible. We've been to Macau, Japan, Malaysia, Taiwan, Italy, Germany, France, England and the list goes on. My sister and I have also had our own experiences from school trips. I love travelling and I think the more I travel, the more I discover who I am.

So that is my story or, rather, sum of stories.

Right now, I am back in my home town studying Communications at the University of Pittsburgh. My family and I will continue to travel during summer and school breaks and I will blog all of my experiences. While in school I will post travel tips, stories of places that I have been before, and possibly a Youtube channel in the future.

I am so excited to get started sharing my experiences. Let me know in the comments what you would like to see and hear about!

Now let's get cracking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages